Friday, February 03, 2006

Dinner at the Beef and Mushroom Place

It is currently 3 degrees outside. Just FYI.

Okay I don't have any pictures... but man was the food good. There are three courses at the beef and muchroom place. The first course was my favorite... it was the actual beef and mushrooms. I can not tell you what kind of mushrooms there were - there were about 4 different kinds. They were so pretty. I will take my camera next time for sure! I was told they actually grow the mushrooms there at the restaurant. And there was thinly sliced beef... it was even thinner than roast beef from Arby's.

I guess I should back up a little here... Okay when you get to the restaurant, there are small tables (low to the ground of course, one has a little leather mat to sit on). In the center of each table is a little stove that has a stone plate that has about a 2 inch lip around it. When you arrive, the waitress adds some special broth (very yummy and garlicy). When that starts to boil she comes back with a huge platter of the sliced beef and beautiful mushrooms.

So then you cook your beef and mushrooms on the hot stone. The beef cooked really fast since it was sliced so thin. There was also some onions and garlic on the platter that you can add. It was incredibly yummy. I could get up right now, at 9am, and eat some more.

Okay so then after you cook all your beef and mushrooms (one has to do it in several batches or the beef will burn onto the bottom). Then the second course coomes out. They scrap most of the mushrooms and tiny flakes of beef out of the pot and place it in a bowl (so you can snack later I guess). Then they add rice, kimchi, and some toasted seaweed laver (thin sheets of seaweed like in a sushi roll). And you stir that in the pot. It was yummy too.

There were also some dishes of kimchee - the usual cabbage kind, some garlic stems with some hot pepper sauce, radishes, cabbage in mayonaise, and a cabbage salad with a horsradish sauce (every person got an individual serving of the salad). I think there also was a seaweed kimchee too... but it was pretty far away from me, and it was the thick slimy kind that is really chewy and I find hard to eat in big pieces.

Then the last course came - it was udon noodle soup! After we ate the stirfied rice, and the stuck on pieces were starting to get really stuck on, they removed the stone plate and replaced it with a stone bowl. In the bowl was a soup. When that started to boil, we added the udon noodles. I guess the speciality or bargin of the restaurant is that it advertises that you can eat a sackful of noodles if you want. So if you want more noodles, they are free for the asking. I am not sure how anyone could eat that much after the rest of the dinner. Anyway the soup was really spicy. It had some clams in it as well.

After the soup - there was soda, or coffee. One could also get some icecream if one wished. It was fabulous and I really want to take Harland there. Best part was - it was 6 dollars a person.

Meeting the wives was nice - i can't tell you how great it was to talk to some females! They are all very nice and friendly and I actually can't wait until i see them again next week! I was nervous because I had a bad "meeting the wives" experience once and that is why I never got involved at Ft. Benning. But this was really nice!

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

fun!!! I love these places - in Japan they were yakiniku but with an actual grill instead of the stone and, it sounds like, slightly more variety of grilly stuff... in France there was a rather short phase of "pierrade" restaurants which I think I understood from Tiphaine are now a bit passé... You're really making me crave Mongolian Barbecue tho! :)

2/04/2006 12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home