Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Can't take me anywhere

So today was a very exciting day - I got my Temporary Ration Control Plate (which is actually not a plate at all but some paper) and so that means I can now shop at the commisary and the PX without Harland. Whee. I admit the power went straight to my head and I bought some cooking oil and some baking powder so I can make pancakes in the morning.

I then decided to celebrate even more (I can't explain how exciting the RCP is!) and went out into the town and bought some things for the place. Two forks, and some utensils. As hard as a time I gave Harland about not buying forks, when we went to the PX yesterday to buy pots/pans/etc. they actually had no forks and no hot pads to take stuff out of the oven with. Isn't that weird? You can buy all kinds of ceraminc plates, all kinds of everything... but not that. Anyway - so I bought some forks and stuff at a favorite place of mine called hansmart. It mostly is a kitchen stuff store but you can also buy fake samari swords, and megaphones and other very odd things that do not seem to belong.

Then I went to my most favorite of all stores in Korea - Morning Glory. It is a stationary store. I always have the best time in there. But today i had a little less fun. I dropped a pen and it broke. And then the woman took away my coat. I guess my coat could be the only explaination on why I might drop something, who knows. I was carrying my coat in my left hand and I had the stuff in my right hand... but I guess it made sense to her. It was only about 80 cents in US money, so it wasn't a biggie, I just bought that one and a second one. Along with something very fun for my Susan. Hee hee. And it's so fun, it is refillable. And it is not a pen!

And so that is my sad tale of the broken pen. Actually I was more embarrassed than anything. I bought a soda today from my first Korean vending machine but I accidently pushed the wrong button and out came Mt. Dew rather than the Chilsung (it is similar to a combination of sprite and gingerale, I love Chilsung!) that I wanted. The weird thing about the Mt. Dew is that it said "Original American Style Taste" in big letters on the side. I don't know what that means... it did indeed taste like the Mt. Dew that I know. Maybe they had a different version over here once?

I may never know.
Cheers.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MS. YU-

I KNOW THAT IN MANY OF THE EUROPEAN COUNTRIES I LIVED IN THAT THE SODA'S WERE A DIFFERENT FORMULA..AND DEFINETLY DID NOT TASTE THE SAME!!! IF GIVEN THE OPPURTUNITY, TRY TO FIND SOME OF THE ONES THEY MAKE FOR THE AREA..SOME ACTUALLY TASTE VERY GOOD!

BRITTANY

1/19/2006 1:53 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Did you find any coffee/tea machines? We had those in Japan - and you could choose with each whether you wanted them cold or hot - the can itself would be heated or chilled when it came out ;) mirukuti!! oishii!! (milk tea - yum!!)
:)
S

1/19/2006 3:52 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Hi! Yeah, I didn't really want the Mt. Dew to begin with... I don't really like it. But I hit the wrong button for the Chilsung Soda. I will have to pay better attention to what I am doing next time. I wasn't actually sure if I had put the money in right, but it worked so I guess I did! There is lots of stuff to try out... I can hardly wait to get started!

Susan - I have seen coffee cans in the machines... but I don't know if you can get them hot. Next time I'm out in town I'll have to check. I can send you a can of the milktea or coffee if you'd like! I see them at familymart, the convienence store.

1/19/2006 10:45 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

oh yeah, and Brittany, I had "coke light" the other day which is different than "diet coke". I think I like it better!

1/19/2006 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home